About Me

My photo
I'm stuck in a world of questions and "sane insanity".

Friday, April 6, 2007

QotW10: My holiday in Second Life

DJMark Straaf originally known as Rek Dagger

In Second Life, I took up the avatar name DJMark Straaf after deleting a previous account due to technical gliches. Although I did not manage to find a one particular place which I really liked, travelling around to a variety of places enabled me to learn more about the different rules and practices in different places of Second Life.

The main area in which I spent most of my time at was Lion City. It was here where I met Mr Alvin Loo, who through IM gave me some tips and pointers as to where I should go for particular special interests and how should I go about snapping pictures. However I would like to mention that our initial meeting was not by freak chance, rather it was because he warned me about breaking certain rules.


In the real world, Singapore Law states that her citizens should not own any firearms. Therefore the minute i could play around with my reality, I was roaming the streets of this virtual arena with a machinegun. Before long, Mr Alvin Loo approached me, warning me of my cyber crime.Posing with a Virtual Black Mercs

A Posed pic with Singapore builder, Mr Alvin Loo Commiting a "crime", this land I shall "Protect"

Flying around with wings which i got free

However, although it was interesting to be able to observe how people interacted with one another in this virtual world, I was quite shocked at how some have taken this "second life" of theirs abit too far. As I explored the most popular places in Second Life, one place which caught my attention was the "Free Sex Orgy" place. As my avatar ventured around, I noticed 3D characters engaging in certain activities which less then a decade ago would be considered impossible. Virtual Sex. I mean honestly what thrill is there in watching your avatar have sex with someone elses. Being camera happy, I decided to snap a picture in order to share with others the extent of which the virtual world of social interaction has evolved into.


Amazing ways of social interacting
Anyhow as I carried on venturing the world of Second Life, I came across sports shops where soccer posters were placed up for sale at 20 Linden dollars. Being a fan of Manchester United, my trip to this virtual shop could not have been finished without a picture with the club's badge.

Ain't a Chelsea supporter, I rather stick with Man Utd

Basically, that was my entire trip around the virtual world. Now some of you who know how I look like in real life might be wondering why do I suddenly resemble a neo-nazi skinhead. Well the reason behind this dressing derives from a variety of reasons and not because of a sudden urge to worship Hitler. Here they are.

1) I am bald because my lap top lags so much, that instead of seeing myself with a baldspot, I rather see myself bald.

2)I got the Leather jacket for free. plus since I could not make a Leather trench coat, I might as well stick to the next coolest thing.

3) The tight faded jeans was cool too. Since I had the rebel/ punk/ skinhead look. Hey!! Why not go all the way?

Now lets discuss about my avatar's body. Yes it may appear to some that I have over done the muscle bit. In the real world, I have a pack, in the virtual world, I have 6. But hey , if i could create a dream self why not right? Anyway, I believe that the only resemblence that I shared with my avatar, is the burning cigarette, oh and not forgetting the same gender.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

A very entertaining blog entry! Funny and easy to understand.

BTW, there's Arsenal and Liverpool on the posters too, man..what's with the personal attack on Chelsea. Boo... =(

Rek said...

Thank you haha, well you see as a Man Utd skinhead fan, it is my duty to taunt any club which is not in our good books. So I'm sorry to inform you that currently Chelsea does not hold a very respectable place with the lads =p JK